Sunday 24 February 2013

Flutterby Q+A

First things first- guess who hit 25,000 pageviews yesterday? FAT FLUTTERBY DID!!! Who awesome? You awesome!!! Thanks to everyone who has read my rants, recipes and random posts! Thanks for commenting, messaging and just being all-round great!

Right- normal service resuming....

Ok so I've been asked many questions over the last year or so about me, my journey- so I thought- why not answer them all in one go?

You can get to know me a bit better then! There are quite a few so let's see how many I can get through....


Q) Have you always been overweight?

No- I was actually pretty skinny up until the age of about 13-14. I was a swimmer and I trained a lot- the exercise kept me thin....But when I left swimming, that's when I started putting on weight.

Q) How heavy/what dress size were you at your biggest?

Officially I joined Slimming World weighing 22 stone 7lb. However, 6 months previous I weighed over 23 stone. I managed to lose a bit before joining Slimming World.

Dress size wise I was a size 26-28 (mainly 28) and my starting measurements were 
Bust- 51inches, 
Waist 45 inches, 
Hips 53 inches and 
Thighs 34 inches

Q) What are you now/how much have you lost?

I have lost 10 stone 8.5lb so far. I am now a size 10-12 and my measurements are:
Bust- 37 inches
Waist- 30.5 inches
Hips- 41 inches
Thighs- 23.5 inches

Q) What weight loss plan do you follow?
I follow Slimming World's Extra Easy plan.


Q) What is your secret?

Well- this must be the question I get asked the most- one day I will do another post about the ins and outs of it but here is my short answer:

There is no secret!


I have a food optimising book which I use often- even now I like to read it and double check I'm doing it right!
I measure everything that needs to be measured, count everything that needs to be counted and I go to group every week, get weighed and enjoy Image Therapy. As well as moving a bit more and keeping in touch with my amazing consultant and other members in the week.

Oh and my blog of course- blogging is great to air how you feel sometimes.

So if you're following Slimming World- just stick with the basics- you can't go far wrong!


Q) Have you tried other diets?
Yes- I tried the shake diets, soup diets, eat-nothing-but-lettuce diets. As soon as I got hungry, that was it- back to the pizza and crisps!
I tried following Weight Watchers on my own but that didn't work. Calorie counting was unsuccessful.

I was offered diet pills from the doctors- I nearly went for them but the thought of the side-effects put me off.

Q) What was the final push for you to lose weight this time?

I was in University. My attendance was horrendous because of my anxiety and depression- as well as being physically extremely unfit. The last lecture I went to I got taunted and bullied by some of the students- this happened before but this time was breaking point. I went home and just cried- I had hit rock bottom- I'd had enough.

A friend of mine was doing Slimming World at the time and looking at how well she was doing and seeing all the food she could eat- it spurred me on to join my local group. Another friend gave me £25 towards a 12 week "countdown" (where you pay in advance) and I joined the following Tuesday.

Q) How did you feel about joining?

I was petrified. I couldn't cope with being around people I didn't know. I was scared about being too big for the scale, scared that people would stare at me and judge me. But I knew that this was my last chance at losing weight and I was willing to go to any lengths!

As soon as I joined up I realised that I was worrying over nothing- everyone was so friendly and supportive- especially my consultant. There was no humiliation, no shame, just support, love and kindness.

Q) How much did you lose in your first week?

I lost 6lb in my first week.

Q) Have you ever gained?

Oh goodness yes! I've had weeks where I had birthday meals or I was just out of control. I've been on holiday twice and gained both times. I don't know how many gains I've had- not including time at target it's probably about 8-10 gains. But every time I have got right back on it and got that gain off in a week or 2!

Q) Have you found losing weight hard?

That's a hard question. For the most part- not really. I wasn't restricted in my eating at all- so I didn't feel like I was missing out. I enjoyed my syns and mostly felt in control. I did, however, have weeks where I really struggled to get my head in the right place. Sometimes I have had that craving for food that has been horrendous. I'm human- I have slip ups- the most important thing is I got right back on it in the new week and started again!

Q) How long did it take you to lose weight?

Well- it took me 14 1/2 months to lose 10st 1lb and get to my initial target. I maintained for 6 months- until January of this year. I decided then to change my target and I have been up and down since....Mainly down! I have not set a new target really- so I'm going to see how I go in the next few weeks and then make a decision.


Q) Do you still go to group?

Yes I do! And I will hopefully continue to for a long time to come! Going to group every Tuesday and staying for image therapy helps me stay focused and grounded. More importantly than that- I have friends there that I see every week! It's nice to have that time with people who are on the same journey as you to bounce ideas off each other- or just to talk about every day things.

I'm part of the social team too- I am a proud member of the group and I don't plan on stopping going just yet!



Q) Have you done any exercise?

I went to the gym for about 2 weeks near the beginning (after I lost about 2 stone) but I was put off by a group of small minded men. Since then most of my body magic came from walking- just bog standard walking.

I did do some Wii Fit and Just Dance too- which are great fun!


I eased myself in gently- I could barely walk when I joined Slimming World so I started off small and just built it up- now I can walk a good 5 miles a day and not be overtired!

Q) Do you have any loose skin?

Yes- but not loads. I have a belly "apron" and bingo wings, as well as just general sagginess. I might not have a bikini-model bod, but I would much rather have a bit of loose skin than an extra 10 1/2 stone! I can do things now that I could never do at that size- a bit of loose skin isn't going to stop me! (Anyway- there are push up bras, magic knickers and corsets on the market for a reason!)

Q) What's your favourite Slimming World meal?

There are loads- Bacon and Butternut Squash Risotto, Burger and Chips and a good ol' syn free roast dinner are among my favourites! All syn free and all filling and tasty! Who needs takeaways?

Q) How many syns do you have a day? What do you use them on?

I have on average 5-8 syns every day. When I started out I tended to have the full 15 but I just found that I could fill up on all the free food and syns were that added treat. I make sure I have my minimum of 5 syns a day- it says 5-15 in the book so that's what I try to stick to. Practical experience shows that a lot of the time, having at least 5 syns a day is better for weight loss than no syns at all! (I've heard many others say that and I found it true for me too!)

I use my syns on mainly "treats" which can be an extra Rocky Road bar, Sugar free jelly or an Options hot choccie! Things like extra light mayo too. I do have takeaways every so often- something like chicken and black bean sauce from the chippy which is only about 9 syns for the portion I get (it's less for a "serving" but I tend to have more than that!)

Q) Do you use your healthy extras?

Yes- every day! They are there to be used- same as everything else- the plan works if you do all that's suggested- Healthy Extras are there for much needed fibre and calcium. So I use them and enjoy them.

I make sure I measure out when needed to (i.e. Milk etc) just to protect my weight loss.


Q) Would you like to become a consultant one day?

It's definitely something I would like to aim for in the future. I have a passion for the plan- I love Slimming World and what it has done for me- so I would definitely love to make it a career!

Ok I hope I haven't forgotten anything! It's a long one- took me a while to type this out!! If you have any more questions comment, inbox me on facebook or ask on my Facebook Page! (please like my fat flutterby page if you haven't already!)

Now- I must get to bed! I have made some speed soup- will be enjoying that in the morning!

Much Love,
Tanya x

No comments:

Post a Comment