Monday 2 April 2012

My "tips" (and non-scary piccies of my jeans!)

People have asked me lately what my "tips" are to get good losses. Rather than post it in a group, I thought it would be a good idea to get it down on here!


I don't have any tips as such, I can only go by what I do- and all I do is follow the plan set by Slimming World. But I can try and put them down as "tips". Here goes.

1) Pick the plan that suits you best.


There are 3 plans- Red (or Original), Green and Extra Easy. I have done EE since starting and not tried out Red or Green. Why? Because I like to keep things simple and I stick with things that work. I am aware that EE doesn't work for anyone. It's basically as much lean meat, pasta, rice and potatoes as you want, until satisfied. Some people need to restrict carbs or protein. I don't, eating carbs is good for me and I can still pull off big losses, which is great. 



If you have to restrict your carbs, try red days, which is low carbs and higher protein (from my understanding). If you are vegetarian or don't eat much meat, and can't get enough carbs- opt for Green days.


I recommend EE because it's limited restriction. I can have a big meal of chilli and rice with veggies or salad and that's syn free- whereas if you were on the other days, you would have to measure out either the meat or rice. 


But, do your research. If you are on SW and you aren't happy with your losses, try switching it around a bit. Maybe do 1-2 days different and see how you feel. Sometimes it's about trial and error, see what gets you into a happy medium and stick with it!


2) Tweaks/ Food Abuse

This is something that has come up a lot, I've found, on facebook groups especially.



Food abuse is basically using free food in a way it's not intended. Examples can be making a pizza base out of  Smash potato powder, crisps with potato and frylight, lasagna sheet "doritos" and chickpea nut snacks. 


According to SW, things like this should be synned. Even though it's a free food, with the example of the crisps, you could eat and eat them and not be satisfied, yet you're eating a lot of calories. Yes, it might be better than the alternative of full fat crisps, but it's still not great. In this instance, you should syn the potato like you would do on a Red day (restricted carbs).


I've seen MANY people post about how they do tweak and don't syn it. They then go on to justify it.


My opinion is this- I pay a fiver a week to go to class and to pay to follow the SW plan. If SW say that things like the above should be synned, I would syn them. But, I just don't do it. There is so much free food out there you can eat, in the way it's intended, why would I want to cheat myself?


The "rules" (for want of a better word) are there for one reason- to protect YOUR weight loss. If you want to tweak, fine, you go ahead, but I think it's wrong that people brag about it on public forums, and chastise people who point out what they're doing is not part of the SW plan. I personally say when something is food abuse- because if a person new to SW reads it and doesn't know, they might be disappointed and disheartened with their losses and have no idea what they're doing wrong.


So tweaking=bad. I don't do it, and I doubt I ever will.


3) Stay at group!


At every available opportunity, try to stay for the whole of IMAGE therapy. There have only been 2 weeks in the last (nearly) 12 months that I haven't- one week was when I just started, and hadn't quite got my head into it and the other was a week my consultant wasn't there and I went to do overtime at work instead.


I get a lot from group. Lots of recipe ideas as well as motivational tips from people. 

Also, everyone there either is going through the journey with you or are at target and maintaining- but have still been where you are! You can potentially get support and motivation off everyone there. 



Those 2 hours I'm at group (because I stay behind for a cuppa afterwards) is a "social" time for me too. I love it. I have made some fantastic friends at my group and Tuesday is the highlight of my week (after I've sweet talked the scales that is!)


4) Get off your bum


When I started SW I could barely walk to the end of the road without getting tired. I had to walk at a snail pace and if I tried to walk with my mum I'd be exhausted. 


After losing about 2 stone, I became more active. I started with just 5 minutes at a time then built it up until I could manage 15 minutes to work towards my Bronze Body Magic award!


Body Magic is an extra incentive from SW. There are 4 awards- bronze, silver, gold and platinum.

Bronze is 3 x 15 minutes "activity" (what normal people call exercise!) a week, maintained for 4 weeks. Most groups do the awards. Have a chat with your consultant and see if they do it- because it does differ from group to group.



I now do about an hour of exercise a day- sometimes more, if I have the time! I love to get out and walk. 


Exercise doesn't mean hitting the gym or going to Zumba 10 times a week. It can be just walking around the block, or dancing around your front room for 15 minutes. Get the music channel on, or the radio and bop around. It's unreal how good that is for you- not just physically, but mentally too! Exercise releases endorphines, which makes you feel awesome.


So get off your bottom and get moving! Don't strain yourself though- take it slow and build up gradually!


5) Be kind to yourself


This is so so important! Especially if you have a lot to lose.


If you stick to plan 100% and you haven't lost as much as you wanted to- do NOT beat yourself up. Sometimes the body just does this. It's very common. There have been weeks where I've been 100% and lost 1/2-1lb. Which was disappointing. But what I didn't do was feel sorry for myself and eat my weight in chocolate! If you were really on plan and you did everything right, you will get the losses eventually. Just have patience and perseverance- don't quit- you'll get there!


Same goes for if you've "fallen off the wagon". It's sometimes so hard to get back on it. There was a week where I just couldn't get back on it. and I beat myself up something stupid! I thought I was pathetic, a failure and just wanted to quit. But after talking to Julie (my consultant) I managed to draw a line under the previous week and after I got on the scales and accepted the gain (3 1/2lb it was) that was it- a new week, a new start.


So if you are feeling like that- not able to get your head around getting back on it- have this on me:


__________________________________________


^ It's a line, to be drawn under your day/week/month, whatever. After this line, nothing else matters except the present and future. If you want this loss, don't be dwelling on what you did or didn't do yesterday or last week- nothing you can do about them now! Look forward, be patient with yourself- you will get there!


Also- after a milestone (be it an award, smiley face (for getting into the next stone bracket) or just dropping a dress size) treat yourself to something- even if it's just a bit of a pampering with a face mask, or a new outfit. Something to keep your motivation up and your head more settled!


6) Get to know your consultant.


Julie has been a real support to me, right from the start. She is a great consultant to me and I really get a lot from her. A good consultant is very important. They're there to support you- if you need help, either with syns or just a bit of extra motivation- contact them. If they give you their number, call or text (don't over do it though- don't want to look stalkerish!) Or even email them! That extra support in the week from your C can really help! So get to know them, they are there to help you on your journey!


I think that's enough lecturing for now! Quick update from me!


So I decided to do the whole "fit in 1 leg of my pants" thing, this time, with my brother in the other leg! We fitted (just!) and it's hilarious. We ended up falling over and mum kindly took a picture of that too!


It's still unreal to me that this time last year I was squeezing into them on my own! Sometimes I just can't get my head around it! It's crazy!

Anyway. I completed day 7 of the "shred" today- and I feel great- just achy still. Not sure what the scales are going to say tomorrow but I have been good. Not gone over 10 syns each day and have been focused (ish). I've just not been as active, because the shred has taken it out of me- but I think that's exercise enough, to be honest!

So we shall see what tomorrow brings!

Now, it is time for bed, since I'm in work in 8 hours! I need my sleep!

Much Love,
Tanya x

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! You are an inspiration. Thanks for this post...I've been struggling to get back on track since my Gran died and relized,that I am just making exscuses for not sticking to SW.

    ReplyDelete