Saturday 2 March 2013

Get Some Cooking Confidence!

Hi everyone- Happy Saturday!

I had a very early start this morning with work- but that was another 6 hours of pay I'll be getting next month- I have so much money to save up for- mum's wedding, driving lessons, eventually getting my own little flat....so every bit helps right now! Especially since it's 7 1/2 weeks until my little trip to Canada!

I was meant to be going out to see friends in the afternoon but I was so exhausted- I just had my lunch and slept for a few hours. So this afternoon/evening has been a bit of a lazy one. But I plan on making up for it tomorrow.

Part of the reason why I didn't do extra walking this evening was I had a long power-walk yesterday and my little legs are suffering today! So I thought a rest would help repair the muscles. I don't want to do any major damage!


Anyway today I want to share a bit about cooking....something we all have to do since we've thrown the takeaway menus and frozen ready meals away (for the most part)

When I was at my biggest, I had some basic culnery skills- I could cook pasta until it stuck and I could make toast- that was just about it. I used to be crash hot at cooking but I did practically forget how to do it. I had low confidence in every aspect of my life- cookery was no different!

So when I started Slimming World, I started cooking- with the help and guidance of my mum and a few recipe books that I bought. I even found making soups hard- just because I wasn't used to it.

As time went on- I found that cooking wasn't really that hard. 


You know I was 23 when I first boiled an egg? Sounds silly doesn't it? But it's true! I just never learned, felt no need to learn it. One day- I wanted boiled eggs- I remember messaging my friend Kate asking her how to do it....once I did it a couple of times- I realised how darned simple it was! 

The hardest thing about cooking is definitely lack of confidence. If we don't know how to do something then we read a recipe line by line and follow it to the letter. If it doesn't turn out exactly the way it looks on the professionally done, probably photoshopped picture, then we get disappointed- even if it does taste nice!

Now I'm used to cooking I have the "that'll do" attitude.

You know what that is, right? When you look at a certain herb or ingredient, look at the pan and think "that'll do" and just stick it in. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it will be a complete disaster- it happens, even the best cooks mess up sometimes!

So I make things like pastas, soups, bakes. I don't give it a second thought. I did in the beginning- but in time my self confidence grew and I didn't get paranoid about how it looked. I managed to gain an understanding of different herby things and I know what will go with what- and what won't go!

So- get your pots and pans out guys! Whether you are a crash hot cook or a complete novice- get in that kitchen and get cooking!

One thing I recommend to anyone trying to lose weight- batch cook! Be it soups, chillis, stews, casseroles.....if you make a few extra portions you can freeze for another time. If you are busy one day then you can just stick something out of the freezer and heat it up. It's like a ready meal but you know there is no chemicals or stray animals in there!

Trust me on this- cooking is awesome- there is a whole big wide world out there food wise- I'm on a weight loss plan that requires me to eat more than a limp lettuce leaf and a cup of green tea a day! So I will ENJOY my food- trust me- I am!!

Talking of food- today's food diary!

My food today inspired this blog post- because my lunch and dinner were both "that'll do" meals. I'll go more in depth next time!

Breakfast- Rocky road bar (3syns), yoghurt
Break- beans and tomatoes, banana, satsuma
Lunch- smoked salmon trimmings with onion, rice, quark and herby things- with salad. pineapple, grapes and banana/toffee yog (1/2 syn) for pud
Dinner- chicken and bacon pasta (with onion, mushroom, pepper, quark and more herby things) with tomato and little gem lettuce. pineapple, grapes and fromage frais for pud.
Snacks- rocky roadx2 , weetabix oaty bar (3 1/2syns) pineapple.

HEA- milk
HEB- 2x rocky road
Syns- 7 

Happy with my food today- definitely becoming more confident in the kitchen! I'm a bit more prepared for tomorrow- fruit at the ready for break time at work- going to cut up some melon before bed for munchies tomorrow. Left over pasta for a light lunch....not sure about dinner- will consult the mother before I decide- I might make something myself or for all of us- we shall see!

Anyway- 3 more sleeps until weigh in! Not that I'm excited or anything!


One of those sleeps is coming soon- work in the morning!

Much Love,
Tanya x

P.S check out my Facebook Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment