Sunday 18 September 2011

Family Outings

I had a lovely day today. My mum and I went to visit my brother and his boyfriend. They live in their own little caravan about 20 minutes drive away from us. 


We had a nice lunch in a pub by them- I had a chicken and bacon salad with baked potato (even better there was no fat on the bacon- woo!) Then we went for a walk with the dog in the countryside. I really enjoyed myself- I wouldn't have done 5 months ago- I hated walking- or any kind of exercise for that matter. Now, I love getting out and about, enjoying the fresh air and good company!


Tonight- I had a very tasty Bacon and Butternut Squash Risotto. Something that i got from the SW extra easy cookbook, but i made a couple of changes. It's great comfort food! Here is the recipe:


(serves 4 people)
  • 198g/7oz lean bacon (cut into bitesize pieces)
  • 1 large onion (chopped)
  • 2 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
  • 255g/9oz dried risotto rice
  • 397g/14oz butternut squash (chopped into small chunks)
  • 852ml/1 1/2pt boiling hot chicken stock (I used 2 chicken stockpots) 
  • 1 red pepper (chopped)

1. Stir fry the onion and bacon for 3-4 minutes


2. Add the garlic, rice and butternut squash and stir-fry for 2-3 mins. Add a ladleful of the boiling stock and stir and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time, until half the stock is used up.


3. Continue to cook in this way until the stock is used up and the rice is creamy and al dente, and the squash is tender. This should take about 20-25 mins 


4.Remove from the heat, season well  and stir in the chopped chives. Serve ladled into warmed bowls and eat immediately.



I served mine with rocket salad and cucumber. Mum liked it so much she had another bowl of it!


So- I've typed this while watching Winnie the Pooh with mum, and now, after I've had a cup of tea, I'm going to stick the Wii on and I'm going to do some dancing! Dancing, in my opinion, is one of the best forms of exercise. Even if you just stick the radio on and shake your hips in time to the music- it's uplifting and also great exercise! You should try it! One day I hope to join a class, like a Zumba one- but right now I'm perfectly happy doing it in the comfort of my own home


So- until next time, be happy. Any feedback or comments are always appreciated!


Much Love
Tanya x

No comments:

Post a Comment