Sunday 25 September 2011

Late Night Cookery

Usually I write up my blog in the comfort of my half-dead armchair. Tonight, something slightly different! Yes boys and girls- I actually moved and I am sitting in the kitchen!


Why is this? Well, I think that the title gives it away. It is 12.20am and I am cooking! I decided, since I was going to make them earlier but got waylaid, I'll make my new food now. It's something I've never made before but the recipe seems rather appealing


I am making Vegetable Pakoras. I've had them before, just not SW friendly ones, because usually they are deep fried. They won't be done by the time I finish this- so you will have to wait until tomorrow for the recipe (aww!)


Today I have been a bit more energetic. I went for a walk along the promenade to Seacombe (which is about a mile away- the route I take anyway!) and stopped off at a local pub on the way back. A friend of mine owns it, so thought I would pop in and say "hi". I had a quick diet coke then walked home.  All in all about a 2- 2 1/2 mile walk, not bad really.


I have eaten better today. I need to curb my yoghurt addiction- but at least the 3 yoghurts I had, 2 were little ones. I've eaten fruit today (going to have an apple after I've written this actually) 


For dinner today, we had chilli and rice. I had syn free chips and mum had her own made garlic bread (she had some fresh bread left over) I love chilli- one of those quick and easy meals that is lovely and filling. And you can never go wrong with chips. I always put something on mine before putting them in the oven. Either mixed herbs or something with a bit of a kick to it. My personal favourite is paprika. just gives it a nice edge


Anyway so the chilli- really basic chilli- but here's the recipe just in case you haven't made it before


1lb extra lean mince
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tin mexican style mixed beans-drained (or kidney beans if you wanna be boring!)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 large tomato
1/2 large green or red pepper
150ml pasatta
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp paprika
1-2 tsp hot chilli powder
pinch of crushed chillis
5 drops of tabasco sauce (we used mild just for the taste)


1) brown mince. add onion and garlic.
2) add the beans, tomatoes (tinned and fresh), pasatta, pepper. bring to the boil
3) turn down heat a bit and add the Worcestershire sauce, paprike, chilli powder, chillis and tabasco sauce
4) leave to simmer for 20 minutes or so


Serve with rice/chips (or if you're not on a weight loss program- garlic bread!)


Actually- i need to find a low syn alternative to garlic bread.....I think that can be my homework for this week. 


Anyway- tomorrow I have to hand in my university appeal (thanks to my best Canadian friend in the whole world, I only need to write it up- I have a draft saved) and I have work too. So I'm going to be all go. Hopefully this will show on the scales on Tuesday. Because of my lack of energy and a bit of boredom eating (which is what happened yesterday) I may struggle a bit- and I am a bit nervous. But I have 2 days before then- I can make a change


I'd better rescue the potatoes and make my pakoras! Hope they turn out ok!


Until tomorrow....be well!
Much Love,
Tanya x

No comments:

Post a Comment