Monday 19 September 2011

Progress and Being Proactive

That's what today has been about, mostly.

I was up earlier than usual, to call the Cafe i want to work at to see about the job. They have taken my details and I'm hoping for a call in the next few days for an interview- they might not, but at least I have looked  into it. Also- I have reserved a place on the Food Hygiene course which is on October 4th. My Mum and Dad are helping with the cost of the course, since I'm skint, I'm really grateful to them, because I think that this qualification may help me get a job in the long run.



Anyway- so I went shopping after, with Mum and her friend Pam. While we were in town, Mum (or Pam, I can't remember) noticed that there was a notice in the window of Home Bargains looking for Christmas staff- 16 hours a week. So I went in, spoke to one of the managers and left my details! So hoping for them to get back to me too :)


I had some left over risotto for lunch, and power walked  my voluntary job. Oh it was mental there today! For every bag of donations we sorted, another 3 came in! Never seen anything like it! But it was good- did a lot of lifting and exercise! I was so tired though, I had to get mum to pick me up. 


My first "first" challenge- I made syn free cottage pie. With a few little tweaks from the originial recipe. How I made it:


1lb lean mince (same as the burgers- if you don't have a good butchers that has awesome mince- get extra lean)
1 large carrot, chopped into cubes
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup of frozen peas
400ml beef stock
200ml Passata
2 garlic cloves
1tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Sprinkle of Thyme


600g white potatoes
200g butternut squash (both peeled and chopped into cubes)
1 egg


1) Put butternut squash and potatoes in a pan of water and boil until soft
2) While they are cooking, brown mince, peas, onion and garlic in a large frying pan 
3) Add the stock, passata and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes
4) Drain the potatoes and butternut squash. Add the egg and mash until smooth
5) Put the meat mixture in an ovenproof dish. Top with potato/bns and roughly smooth with a fork
6) Bake in the oven (gas mark 6) for 30 minutes, until mash is slightly golden on top


Serve with vegetables. I had rocket salad, tomatoes and cucumbers


Ok that's it for tonight. I'm planning on an early night- I have weigh in tomorrow- I'm doubting that I've lost a lot, due to not doing much exercise. But I have been good eating-wise. So I shall update tomorrow with hopefully some good news!!!


Much Love
Tanya x

No comments:

Post a Comment